13.43 Additional recipes
13.43.1 Sautéd sole tobago with bananas, pecans and lime
- Preheat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Dredge 8 filets of sole or flounder lightly in flour.
- Sautée until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side. Remove to warm platter.
- Pour off excess oil and wipe down sauce pan. Place pan back on stove over high head;
add 1/4 cup butter.
- When foamy and just starting to brown, add 2 cups diagonally sliced bananas (1/2”
slices) and 1 cup pecan halves. Toss and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup fresh lime juice and 1 cup dry white wine (or light stock) . Cook for another
- Add 1/4 cup fresh herbs (mint, parsley, coriander, basil or tarragon).
- Pour sauce and bananas over fish. Garnish with additional banana slices and lime
- Thanks to Turbana Corporation
13.43.2 Cream of banana soup
- Cook 1 quart green banana pulp, 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock, 1 small celery stalk, 1/2
onion, 1 carrot, 1 small bay leaf, 5 peppercorns, and salt to taste together for about 30
minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Strain over 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup butter which have been combined as for a white
sauce. Cook until thickened.
- Just before serving, add 2 cups cream or milk and heat.
- Serve with a slice of lemon on each plate as a garnish.
13.43.3 Banana sweet potato puff casserole
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes, 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3
medium), 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 egg.
- Beat with electric mixer until light and very fluffy. Turn into 1 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350∘F for 20 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Thanks to Turbana Corporation
13.43.4 Hawaiian banana cream pie
- Preheat oven to 375∘F.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup chopped cashew or macadamia nuts, 1/2 cup flaked coconut,
and 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Beat 1 egg white until stiff; fold into nut mixture.
- Press mixture evenly into an 8-inch pie plate, building up the sides slightly. Bake for 7
minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Crust will tighten as it cools (use a rack).
- In a medium-sized saucepan, beat 3 egg yolks. Mix in 5 tablespoons cornstarch and 3/4
cup granulated sugar. Stir in 1.5 cups milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon unsalted
- Cook mixture slowly over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes. Filling
should be bubbling and thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Transfer this custard to a glass
bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Two hours before serving, whip 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks and fold
into custard. Peel and slice one banana, arranging evenly on bottom of crust. Spoon custard
filling into crust. Cover again with plastic wrap and chill for 2 more hours.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup finely chopped cashew or macadamia nuts evenly over the filling. Peel,
slice and arrange a second banana in a circular fashion around the outside top of the pie,
placing a few slices decoratively in the center.
13.43.5 Banana Bombay salad
- Puree 3 bananas.
- Whisk with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, and 1/8 –
1/4 ounce taragon. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Cut 2 pounds cooked turkey or chicken breast into bitesize pieces.
- Add 1/2 cup raisins, 3 green apples cut into pieces, and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Mix.
- Add banana puree and mix. Cut 2 bananas into thick chunks and add. Serve chilled.
- Thanks to Chiquita Bananas. See