4.5 Additional recipes
4.5.1 Chewy banana split dessert
- Prepare and bake one package (19.8 0z) chewy fudge (or other favorite) brownie mix.
Allow to cool thoroughly, four hours or more.
- Peel 2 large ripe bananas and place very thin slices on top of brownie.
- Cover bananas evenly with one 12-oz. container of whipped topping (thawed) and
drizzle 1/2 cup chocolate syrup over that.
- Refrigerate to chill completely. Cut into squares to serve.
4.5.2 Sopa de Plátano
- Cook 10 whole red-skinned under-ripe bananas in one quart of water over low heat.
- Peel and mash bananas with 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 teaspoon orégano, and 1 teaspoon
- Knead the mixture, add a pinch of salt, and fry in 4 tablespoon shortening until slightly
- Chop 4 medium-sized tomatoes, 2 green peppers, and 1 medium-sized onion.
- Fry vegetables in 1/4 cup olive oil about 5 minutes and then add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Place banana mixture on serving dish and garnish with the hot vegetables.
- Thanks to Ruth Mulvey and Luisa Alvarez Good Food from
4.5.3 Mexican bananas
- Mix together 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon
- Peel 6 firm bananas, cut in half lengthwise, and brush with 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- Place a banana half at end of each of 12 tortillas and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Roll tortillas, brush top and sides with 1/4 cup evaporated milk, and then sprinkle with
remaining sugar mixture.
4.5.4 Almond fudge banana cake
- Mash 3 extra-ripe bananas to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1/2 cup softened margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in 3
eggs, 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (or 1/2—1 teaspoon almond extract), and 1 teaspoon
- Combine 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon
baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds.
- Add dry mixture and bananas alternately to beaten mixture. Beat well.
- Turn batter into greased 10-inch bundt pan. Bake in 350∘ F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan.
Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Puree 1 small banana and beat into 1 ounce (1 square) melted semisweet chocolate.
Drizzle this glaze over top and down sides of cooled cake.
4.5.5 Delightful banana cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 350∘ F.
- Combine 1.5 cups crushed cereal (3 cups un-crushed Multi-Bran Chex suggested), 1/3
cup melted margarine or butter, and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar; mix well.
- Press firmly onto bottom and sides of greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 8–10 minutes, then
- Arrange 1.5 cups sliced bananas onto sides and bottom of cooled crust.
- Combine 16 oz. softened light or regular cream cheese, 1.5 cups powdered sugar, and
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Mix well, then fold in 2 cups light or regular whipped topping. Pour over sliced bananas.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Garnish with 1/2 cup sliced bananas.
- Thanks to Ralston Purina
4.5.6 Banana relish
- Cut 12 bananas, 1 pound dates, and 2 pounds Bermuda onions into small pieces.
- Add 2/3 cup molasses, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon allspice,
1 cup water, and 2 cups vinegar; mix well.
- Turn into a large stone jar or crock, bake in a slow oven till rich brown, seal in jars while
Figure 4.5: Early EVLA science: The spectrum of the hot core of Orion A at K band. Three separate
observations of 8192 channels each 0.125 MHz wide were made using 12 antennas in the D array. Two hours
total telescope time went into each of the two lower thirds of the spectrum and 1 hour was used for the
highest third. The plot was made using ISPEC over a 54 by 60 arc second area. Line identifications provided
by Karl Menten.