9.9 Additional recipes
9.9.1 Churros de Plátano
- Heat about 1 inch of salad (or part salad and part olive) oil in a large frying pan.
- Peel and split 3 large, green-tipped bananas lengthwise. Then cut each piece in half and
dip in lemon juice.
- Separate 4 eggs. Beat the egg yolks until thick and light. Then add 1/4 cup flour and 1/2
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into yolk mixture.
- Drop the drained banana pieces one at a time into the batter. Pick up with a spoon and
slide into the hot oil.
- Cook over medium heat, turning almost at once, until brown on both sides. Drain on
9.9.2 Cranberry banana bread
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, stirring to dissolve
the sugar. Add 4 cups fresh cranberries and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until
berries pop open. Cool. Drain the berries, reserving the juice and measuring 1 cup of berries
for use in the bread.
- Sift together 1 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4
teaspoon baking soda.
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup melted butter, 2 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup
chopped walnuts, 1 cup mashed banana, and 1 cup cooked berries.
- Add the flour mixture to the berry mixture, stirring until blended. Pour the mixture into
a greased and lightly floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake in a preheated, 350∘ F oven for 1
hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For a topping (optional), combine 1/4 cup cranberry juice from cooked berries, 2
tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier in a small saucepan and stir over low
heat until heated through. Poke a few holes in the baked loaf and pour on the topping.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan. Turn the loaf out on a rack and cool completely. Wrap in foil
and store one day before slicing.
- Thanks to Tim D. Culey, Baton Rouge, La.
9.9.3 Banana relish
- Cut 12 bananas, 1 pound dates, and 2 pounds Bermuda onions into small pieces.
- Add 2/3 cup molasses, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon allspice,
1 cup water, and 2 cups vinegar; mix well.
- Turn into a large stone jar or crock, bake in a slow oven till rich brown, seal in jars while
9.9.4 Roasted turkey quesadillas with banana
- Place 6 corn or whole wheat flour tortillas flat.
- Sprinkle with 6 ounces grated low-fat Jack or cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons chopped
fresh cilantro or parsley, 1/2 pound shredded roasted turkey or chicken meat, 2 seeded
and minced jalapeño peppers, 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, and 2 medium bananas, sliced into
- Place 6 tortillas on top and press firmly.
- Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet; cover with another cookie sheet of similar size. Bake
in a pre-heated 350∘ F oven for 15 minutes until soft and melted. Cut into wedges and
serve with hot sauce and salad.
- Thanks to Chiquita Bananas. See