9.9 Additional recipes
9.9.1 Churros de Plátano
- Heat about 1 inch of salad (or part salad and part olive) oil in a large frying pan.
- Peel and split 3 large, green-tipped bananas lengthwise. Then cut each piece in half and
dip in lemon juice.
- Separate 4 eggs. Beat the egg yolks until thick and light. Then add 1/4 cup flour and 1/2
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into yolk mixture.
- Drop the drained banana pieces one at a time into the batter. Pick up with a spoon and
slide into the hot oil.
- Cook over medium heat, turning almost at once, until brown on both sides. Drain on
9.9.2 Roasted turkey quesadillas with banana
- Place 6 corn or whole wheat flour tortillas flat.
- Sprinkle with 6 ounces grated low-fat Jack or cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons chopped
fresh cilantro or parsley, 1/2 pound shredded roasted turkey or chicken meat, 2 seeded
and minced jalapeño peppers, 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, and 2 medium bananas, sliced into
- Place 6 tortillas on top and press firmly.
- Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet; cover with another cookie sheet of similar size. Bake
in a pre-heated 350∘F oven for 15 minutes until soft and melted. Cut into wedges and serve
with hot sauce and salad.
- Thanks to Chiquita Bananas. See