7.8 Additional recipes
7.8.1 Bananes rôties
- Preheat oven to 375∘ F.
- Place 6 (peeled) bananas in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle bananas with juice of 1/2 lemon.
- Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter and 2 tablespoons dark rum over the bananas. Sprinkle
with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Pour on 2 more tablespoons melted butter and 2 more tablespoons dark rum and bake
for 5 minutes more.
- Serve at once, spooning some sauce over each banana.
7.8.2 Almond fudge banana cake
- Mash 3 extra-ripe bananas to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1/2 cup softened margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in 3
eggs, 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (or 1/2—1 teaspoon almond extract), and 1 teaspoon
- Combine 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon
baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds.
- Add dry mixture and bananas alternately to beaten mixture. Beat well.
- Turn batter into greased 10-inch bundt pan. Bake in 350∘ F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in center comes out nearly clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan.
Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Puree 1 small banana and beat into 1 ounce (1 square) melted semisweet chocolate.
Drizzle this glaze over top and down sides of cooled cake.
7.8.3 Coriander banana nut bread
- Blend together in a large bowl 12
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1
tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons
- Mix in 1 cup chopped unblanched almonds and set aside.
- Melt 1/3 cup shortening and set aside to cool.
- Mix until well blended 1 large well-beaten egg, 1/4 cup buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon
- Blend in 11
4 cups mashed ripe bananas and the shortening.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add banana mixture all at one time. Stir only
enough to moisten dry ingredients.
- Turn into greased 9 × 5 × 3-inch loaf pan and spread to corners.
- Bake at 350∘ F about 1 hour or until a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in
center of bread. Immediately remove from pan and set on rack to cool.
7.8.4 Easy banana bread
- Preheat oven to 350∘ F.
- In a food processor cream 1/2 cup soft tofu, 3/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup sunflower or
safflower oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, egg substitute for 1 egg, and 1 cup mashed ripe
- In a bowl combine 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add to food processor along with a dash salt and process until creamy. Pulse in 1
tablespoon poppy seeds.
- Pour into an oiled 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick
inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before
removing from pan.
- Thanks to Tim D. Culey, Baton Rouge, La.
7.8.5 Orange gingered bananas
- Combine in a small saucepan 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch. Cook
and stir over medium heat until boiling.
- Add 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons honey, and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped
crystallized ginger and cook, stirring, until thoroughly heated.
- Place 2 peeled, green-tipped bananas in a shallow baking dish and cover with sauce.
- Bake at 350deg about 15 minutes or until the bananas are tender (but not soft), basting
with the sauce several times.