C.14 Additional recipes
C.14.1 Golden mousse
- Combine 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1/4 cup shredded
coconut, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, a few grains salt, and 1/8 teaspoon grated orange
- Whip until stiff 1 cup heavy cream.
- Fold whipped cream into fruit mixture and turn into freezing tray. Freeze rapidly without
stirring until firm.
C.14.2 Mexican chicken vegetable soup with bananas
- In large, covered kettle, over medium-low heat, simmer 4 pounds cut up stewing
chicken, 1/c cup coarsely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and 4 cups of hot water for 2
hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to cutting board; cut meat from bones into chunks; discard bones. Skim
any fat from surface of broth.
- Add chicken, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 12-ounce can whole-kernel corn and 1 16-ounce
can tomatoes to soup. Continue simmering, covered for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Five minutes before serving, peel 4 firm (green-tipped) bananas, slice diagonally into
- Add sliced bananas to soup, continue cooking just until bananas are tender. Serve
- Thanks to Turbana Corporation
C.14.3 Orange baked bananas
- Mix in a saucepan 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/8
teaspoon cinnamon, and a few grains salt.
- Add gradually, blending in 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Bring rapidly to boiling and cook about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring
- Remove from heat and blend in 11
2 teaspoons grated orange peel, 1/4 cup orange juice,
1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Peel and cut into halves lengthwise 6 bananas with all-yellow or green-tipped peel.
- Arrange halves cut side down in baking dish and brush with about 2 tablespoons melted
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over bananas and then pour the orange sauce over bananas.
- Bake at 375∘ F for 10 to 20 minutes.
C.14.4 Delightful banana cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 350∘ F.
- Combine 1.5 cups crushed cereal (3 cups un-crushed Multi-Bran Chex suggested), 1/3
cup melted margarine or butter, and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar; mix well.
- Press firmly onto bottom and sides of greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake 8–10 minutes, then
- Arrange 1.5 cups sliced bananas onto sides and bottom of cooled crust.
- Combine 16 oz. softened light or regular cream cheese, 1.5 cups powdered sugar, and
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Mix well, then fold in 2 cups light or regular whipped topping. Pour over sliced bananas.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Garnish with 1/2 cup sliced bananas.
- Thanks to Ralston Purina
C.14.5 Chicken salad with banana mayonnaise and grapes
- Place 3 medium bananas cut in chunks, 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, 3/4 cup non-fat
plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a
blender or food processor. Blend until creamy.
- Arrange 12 cups mixed lettuces on six plates.
- Toss 6 chicken breasts cooked and cubed with banana mayo; divide onto salads.
- Sprinkle with 2 bunchs (≈ 48) halved grapes and 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves.
- Thanks to Chiquita Bananas. See