E.11 Additional recipes
E.11.1 Columbian fresh banana cake with sea foam frosting
- Open an 18.5 oz yellow cake mix into a large mixxing bowl; do not use a mix that contains
pudding or requires oil. Combine with 1/8 teaspoon baking soda.
- Stir 3/4 cup Coca-Cola briskly until foaming stops. Add to cake mix and blend until just
moistened. Then beat at high speed for 3 minutes, scraping the bowl often.
- Combine 2 teaspoons lemon juice with 1 cup mashed bananas and then add to batter.
Add 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts and beat for 1 minute at medium speed.
- Turn the batter into a well greased, lightly floured 9x13 baking dish. Bake in a preheated
350∘ F oven for about 40 minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes,
remove cake from pan and turn right side up on a rack to finish cooling.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine 2 large egg whites, 1 1/2 cups packed light brown
sugar, 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 1 tablespoon corn syrup), and 1/3 cup Coca-Cola.
Beat at high speed for 1 minute with an electric mixer.
- Place over boiling water — the water should not touch the bottom of the top half of the
double boiler. Beat on high speed for about 7 minutes until the frosting forms peaks when
the mixer is raised. Remove from boiling water. Empty into a large bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and continue beating on high speed until thick enough to
spread, about 2 minutes. Spread on the sides and top of the cold banana cake.
E.11.2 Chewy banana split dessert
- Prepare and bake one package (19.8 0z) chewy fudge (or other favorite) brownie mix.
Allow to cool thoroughly, four hours or more.
- Peel 2 large ripe bananas and place very thin slices on top of brownie.
- Cover bananas evenly with one 12-oz. container of whipped topping (thawed) and
drizzle 1/2 cup chocolate syrup over that.
- Refrigerate to chill completely. Cut into squares to serve.
E.11.3 Banana July cocktail
- Sprinkle 3 sliced bananas with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Mix with 1 1/4 cans drained and flaked tuna, 1/2 onion chopped, and 2 tablespoons
chopped gherkins or olives.
- Spoon into 7 cocktail shells.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add 2 tablespoon cake flour and salt and pepper
- Add 1/4 cup chicken stock and 1/4 cup dry white wine. Simmer for one minute stirring
- Add 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese and allow to cool.
- Add 1/4 cup fresh cream to sauce and pour over banana-tuna mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon grated cheese and paprika. Decorate with a slice of gherkin
- Bake 15–20 minutes at 350∘ F; serve warm.
- Thanks to Turbana Corporation
E.11.4 Banana Dream Pizza
- Preheat oven to 400∘ F. In a large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp
baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Add 4 Tsp softened sweet cream butter and blend.
Add 3/4 cup warm milk and mix well. If the dough is still sticky, add a small amount of
- Form the dough into a ball. Knead it on a floured surface until it is smooth. Roll out the
dough and place it in an oiled, 16-inch pizza pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust
is light brown.
- In a nonmetallic bowl, mash 4 bananans. Add 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice and 6
tablespoons honey; mix well.
- Slice 2 bananas horizontally and place the slices in water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon lime
or lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Spread the banana mixture on the crust.
- Drain the sliced bananas and blot them with paper towels. Place them in a circular pattern
on the banana mixture. Baste the banana slices with 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake for 20–30 minutes at 400∘ F until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with 1 quart vanilla ice cream and 1/2 cup chopped
macadamia nuts while still hot. Serve immediately.