L.3 Additional Recipes
L.3.1 Banana storage
Bananas ripen after harvesting. They do it best at room temperature. Because of this there are three stages to banana
- On the counter: When you buy a bunch of bananas that are not exactly at the ripeness
you want, you can keep them at room temperature until they are just right for you. Be sure
to keep them out of any plastic bags or containers.
- In the refrigerator: If there are any bananas left, and they are at the ripeness you like, you
can put them in the refrigerator. The peel will get dusty brown and speckled, but the fruit
inside will stay clear and fresh and at that stage of ripeness for 3 to 6 days.
- In the freezer: If you want to keep your bananas even longer, you can freeze them. Mash
the bananas with a little lemon juice, put them in an air tight freezer container and freeze.
Once they’re defrosted, you’ll go bananas baking bread, muffins and a world of other
banana yummies. Or, you can freeze a whole banana on a Popsicle stick. When it is frozen,
dip it in chocolate sauce, maybe even roll it in nuts, then wrap it in aluminum foil and put
it back in the freezer. Talk about a scrumptious snack.
L.3.2 Mexican bananas
- Mix together 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon
- Peel 6 firm bananas, cut in half lengthwise, and brush with 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- Place a banana half at end of each of 12 tortillas and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Roll tortillas, brush top and sides with 1/4 cup evaporated milk, and then sprinkle with
remaining sugar mixture.
L.3.3 Banana mandarin cheese pie
- In large mixer bowl, beat 8 ounces softened cream cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Slice 2 medium bananas, dip in lemon juice, and drain.
- Line 8(?)-inch graham cracker pie crust with bananas and about 2/3 of an 11-ounce can
(drained) mandarin oranges.
- Pour filling over fruit and chill for 3 hours or until set.
- Garnish top with remaining orange segments and 1 medium banana sliced and dipped
in lemon juice.