12.7 Additional recipes
12.7.1 Going bananas with bananas
- Garnish a baked ham or ham steak with bananas.
- Make a quick, rich desert with bananas and cream.
- Bananas are perfect for lunch boxes. They come in their own wrapper, are easy to eat and
- Slice a banana in half lengthwise, brush with melted butter and bake it until tender; serve
it as a “vegetable” with roasted meats or fish. Very Caribbean.
- Don’t forget old favorites like bananas sliced over cereal, diced in pancake batter, or
buried midst the ice cream in a banana split.
- Slice and stir-fry bananas with carrots, tomatoes and ground beef for a super-quick main
12.7.2 Banana-chocolate tea bread
- Cream 1/2 cup softened butter, gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
Add 2 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1
teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sift together.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture, blending well.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; stir in 1 cup mashed banana, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2
cup chopped walnuts, and 1/3 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into two greased and floured 7-1/2 x 3 x 2-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350∘ F
for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10
minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Thanks to Tim D. Culey, Baton Rouge, La.
12.7.3 Banana caramel pie
- Mix 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan.
Stir in 1/4 cup cold water and 2 egg yolks. Beat until smooth.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup boiling water. Then cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes
until smoothly thickened.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Cool
- Pour into pre-baked, cooled 8 or 9 inch pastry pie shell.
- Slightly before serving, slice 4 ripe bananas and arrange over filling. Top with whipped
cream or with a meringue made out of the 2 left-over egg whites.
12.7.4 Curried shrimp
- Cook 2 1/2 pounds shrimp for 3 minutes. Peel and devein.
- Heat 1/3 pound butter or margarine in large saucepan. Saute 4 chopped scallions
and 2 cups chopped, peeled apples until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons curry poweder,
1 tablespoon ground ginger, and 1/3 cup flour. Stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat
and blend in 3 cups chicken broth. Return to heat, cook stirring until mixture boils and
- Add 1 pound roasted cashews, 1 pound Turkish apricots, and, if desired, 2 ounces diced
crystalized ginger and raisins. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and mix in.
- Cut 3 bananas into thick slices and add to mixture. Serve over cooked white or curried
- Thanks to Chiquita Bananas. See